Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Let's go get the shit kicked out of us by love!!




Okay....yes.....blerg! I know, i know, i know....just stick with me for a second. I went to a wedding over the weekend and now I've got weddings down in my soul. My lovely friends Claire and Tommy tied the knot on Saturday and it was super fun! Of course, I'm not too hard to please in this respect because I completely LOVE weddings. And more than that wedding receptions. And more than that open bars. But even in light of my predisposition to love weddings in general theirs was great.
Much to my chagrin though, weddings tend to get me all "Love Actually'd" out. I used to feel kind of pissed about how hearts and stars they made me feel but these days I just sort of roll with it. My hand to god, my marrying days are over but there is no better kind of fun than daydreaming about how you would go about trumping the wedding scene from Love Actually. You know the one.....




yep, that one. In case you count yourself among the poor, hard-hearted souls that haven't seen this movie, the scene plays as such. Vows, kiss, smile, low and behold a great many people in the audience have instruments and break into All You Need Is Love (all of this having been orchestrated by the best man who is secretly in love with the bride who is Keira Knightly who is terrible but who cares). Not being able to do it justice in description I'll just say that it is only TOTALLY AWESOME! To be perfectly honest I could write a pretty long love letter to Love Actually and mean every single word of it. The movie got brought up during this wedding and in a shocking upheaval of all I thought I knew I was informed that one of my dear girlfriends does NOT love this movie. In fact she hates it. Kind of a lot. Normally my ears would just close to any kind of hating that anyone might want to do on Love Actually but this a friend whose opinions and taste I have a lot of faith in, so I listened. And dear readers, for a short but terrifying period of time I thought maybe I hated Love Actually too. Ack! Not true. I will say that having these following things pointed out to me stung....it really did sting.

* Alan Rickman's May/December office romance is terrible and not very believable and just kind of gross.

* Emma Thompson is supposed to be younger than Hugh Grant (is that true? time for a re-watch)

* Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister. ahem.

* Laura Linney's character never gets laid.

* Hugh Grant as the Prime Minister.

*Keira Knightley in general.

There were more, I've blocked them. But ya know, at the end of the day, at the end of pretty much any day I'll watch Love Actually and I will fucking totally love it. Because it's great and I'm a spaz. And without hope or agenda my wasted heart will love you, Love Actually, until you look like this


And since I know you're all wondering, the moment in my imaginary wedding that will totally bring the house down will be after the vows/kissy face part and my robot husband and I turn around and right then the OK Go version of This Will Be Our Year kicks in and everyone has simultaneous heart attacks. The good kind. I love that idea. Don't steal it. Seriously, I will mess you up.

Did I just write an entire pretty lengthy blog post about Love Actually? Yes I did. And what?

2 comments:

  1. oh man. i could watch this movie every day and not get tired of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've never seen 'love actually' but i have a secret love for 'playing by heart' so i always figured i was covered.

    ReplyDelete