Friday, April 3, 2009

The Sweetest Songs...

Fact: I am creeped out to some degree by almost all 50's and 60's candy coated pop songs.

For a long time I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that I'm creeped out by the genre because for as long as I've been old enough to appreciate movies for reasons other than whether or not they feature one of the Coreys people have been using these songs as the soundtrack for horrific things happening onscreen. Maybe to you this seems obvious and not really something that one would have to "realize" necessarily, but I was pretty proud of myself. It all makes perfect sense, of course. All of those songs, especially the ones bemoaning broken hearts, are so sweetly melodramatic. You can't really pull that off anymore. These days if you're making a song that is supposed to say "you leaving me has put me in a really dark place and now there's no telling what I might do" you basically just have to say it. Back then you could say some really dark stuff but shroud it in taffeta and backing vocals and hairspray and make the Top 40. I find that really appealing. If Tragic Twee had a soundtrack it would all be 50's and 60's pop music. I'm listening to a lot of it today and you should too. Later maybe we can get together and hang ourselves with our ex-boyfriends' letterman sweaters.

some personal favorite examples:
(feel free to contribute)

Of course:
Photobucket

had End of the World by Skeeter Davis

Photobucket

had Bang Bang by Nancy Sinatra

and last but not at all least
Photobucket

had Without You by Harry Nilsson


I want more!!!!

2 comments:

  1. isn't mister sandman by the chordettes featured in a movie like this? that song gives me the heebie jeebs but in a good way. also, that roy orbison song that's in blue velvet. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes!! totally!

    mr. sandman was in one of the latter day Nightmare on Elm Street movies!!!

    roy orbison/blue velvet = best one yet! damn that scene. damn it to hell.

    ReplyDelete